Aside from vegetarians, who doesn’t love wings?
One of my favorite
weaknesses appetizers is definitely buffalo chicken wings. But when you’re trying to stick to a somewhat structured and balanced diet, it’s near impossible to fit in that menu item. On Super Bowl Sunday my good friend Kara’s mom made one of those simply amazing, gooey, buffalo chicken dips that always leaves you craving more. I thought to myself, just how exactly do I make a healthy version of this so I can eat it whenever I want?
After much contemplation and a bit of inspiration, I settled on the Buffalo Chicken Bowl. Made with grilled chicken, Buffalo sauce, quinoa, and a broccoli slaw, this dish fills you up without bloating you out! You have to try this if you have a Buffalo chicken wing problem, seriously!
Buffalo Chicken Bowls
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 2 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
- 1/2 cup, bottled buffalo sauce
- 1 cups prepared quinoa
- 2 cups pre-packaged slaw mixture (I used Trader Joe’s Broccoli Slaw)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. chopped parsley (optional)
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, pour in the buffalo sauce then add chicken. Mix to get the chicken all covered with buffalo sauce & let simmer.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the slaw mixture, red onion, mayo, sour cream, and blue cheese, salt, and pepper together. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
- Assemble your bowl! Place 1/4 cup quinoa at the bottom, top with 1/4 of the chicken mixture, and top with slaw. Serve & enjoy!